Tuesday, July 28

Adding OpenOffice to PupEee

Inspired by a fellow user at the EeeUser forums, I decided to have a go at adding OpenOffice 2.4 to my PupEee install.

Downloaded a squash file with OpenOffice 2.4 from DokuPuppy - at 168.41 Mb it was larger than PupEee, but smaller than OO3.0 by a comfortable margin. Saved it to the same partition on my SD card as PupEee and the main puppy squash file lives on - so far, so good. Download wasn't fast - about 10 minutes, even on a beefy line.

The process to add the squash file to the layered file system was simple enough - the images says it all really.


Select Menu, Setup, Puppy Setup

Configure startup of Puppy

Choose which extra SFS files to load at bootup

Add the OpenOffice squash file

Squash file added

Exit the startup configurator gracefully

Same with the Puppy Setup

And head to a reboot of PupEee!

A reboot (slower than normal, since the layered filesystem had to be rebuilt) later, we're in action. Or rather, wasn't in action.

As they say; Bugger!

But, nil desperandum, or something like that... If at first you dont succeed, find someone to blame... in my cause, must be somethign wrong with the squashfile...

A new download, this time of 2.4.1 from this link (from the same site as the 'pure 2.4) and we're back in business. The process is the same, so I won't document it again (I spent more time taking screen shots than i did doing each step=.


Success! As you can see they are all there in the menu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well,
i have done it as explained, i see it in the menu, but if I click, nothing. How can I make the program start?

Thank you,
Andrea

WegianWarrior said...

Dont know - for me it started when I clicked on it in the menu. Perhaps the Puppy forums can offer advice?