Saturday, August 15

How to shave five seonds of PupEees boot time

And in less time than i use to write this post even!

It occurred to me that PupEee waits 8 seconds at bootup, in cause I want to issue boot commands. That is a long time... well, not really, but it's longer than I need. So I deided to see if I could shorten it.

If you navigate to /mnt/home (this is where your PupEee lives), you'll find the file syslinux.cfg - open this with a text editor. Find this line:
timeout 80

and change it so it reads:
timeout 30


Congratulations, you have taken five seconds of the boot time off!

You probably want to open the file boot.msg in a text editor as well and change the text to reflect the shorter time you got to enter boot options, just in case you forgets.

PupEee now boots in 53 seconds on my 701.

No comments: